Thursday, May 15, 2008

Globe Telecom to carry iPhone in RP



   


MANILA, Philippines--Globe Telecom will be among the first telecom operators in Asia to officially carry Apple's popular iPhone handset.

A two-paragraph statement on Globe's website said the mobile communications firm had signed an agreement with Apple along with Singapore's Singtel, India's Bharti Airtel and Australia's Optus.

According to the statement.

The iPhone was launched in the United States January 2007 exclusively to AT&T. Apple said it would launch the iPhone in Asia this year but up until today it has not mentioned specific details.

This latest announcement has been preceded by months of speculation, a usual strategy from Apple when launching a new product.

SingTel owns Optus and holds a 30.5-percent stake in Bharti and 44.5 percent in Globe. As of Dec. 31, 2007, SingTel had about 2.3 million mobile subscribers in Singapore and around 7 million in Australia. Bharti currently has about 64 million subscribers, while Globe reported a 21.3 million mobile subscriber base for the quarter ended March 31.

The announcement comes as Apple looks to expand sales of the iPhone--a combination phone, music player and Web browser--that was launched in the US in 2007.

Read more...

source: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net





1 comments:

Densho said...

Greetings!

I am a globe user since 2002 or earlier with my original sim (globe explore 0917-9992617). I have already switched phones for a number of times but I still retain my number for convenience. Until, I think, two or three years ago that a certain irritating number (2929) keeps on popping up and started stealing my hard earned load. I have tried to unsubscribe to this service but to no avail. If my memory serves me right, I did not voluntarily subscribe to this kind of service as music downloads can be done conveniently with my pc.

Anyway, I tried to talk to one of your agent regarding this problem and promise to fix it for me but sad to say that same problem persist. Worst! 2929 bugged be almost twice in a week.

As a globe user through thick and thin, I believe that your company should be sensitive with this kind of problem as this do not only irk your loyal customer but also add more insult during this time of crisis. Honestly, I have bought another unit with a sim from smart installed. My family members who are also globe users themselves have already switched to another network because of this larceny that your company keeps on perpetrating.

Right now, I am just waiting for my sim to expire (6 mos.) until all my friends will know my new number.

Hope you will see my point.

GAUTO bless us!



DBD