Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Filipina Teen Runs as 99th Torchbearer of 2008 Beijing Olympic



   

The 99th torchbearer attracted more attention than the 207 other torch-bearers who lined up the streets of Tangshan City to pass the Olympic torch in the morning of July 31. The young 17-year old Filipino won everyone on site by her sunny smile. Michelle FlorCruz told the reporter that she is very proud to be a torchbearer at her second home, China.

Michelle FlorCruz 99th Torchbearer of 2008 Beijing Olympic Michelle FlorCruz (right)

A self-described “Made-in-China” girl, Michelle said she is a sort of a “zhongguo tong”—Chinese for “old China hand”. She was barely a month old when she moved to Beijing with her parents, who live and work in the Chinese capital. She has grown to like Chinese culture.

Michelle said: “I’ve spent just about every day of my life in Beijing. I grew up here and all my childhood memories are related to China. I studied at the International School of Beijing and my classmates come from all around the world. I like this kind of international atmosphere just like the Olympics, where many people who come from different countries gather for common goals.”

Last September 2007, Lenovo and China Daily launched a search for Olympic Torchbearers among foreigners living in China. Michelle and her father decided to join the search. Luckily for Michelle, she was one of several expatriate residents in China nominated. “It’s a great idea to pass the torch around 5 continents,” Michelle opines. “It shows the unity among different countries. I like the Torch design. It has many elements of ancient China, and yet it also has a futuristic look and feel.”

Michelle, who just graduated from the International School of Beijing last June, is as much a sports fan as an athlete in school. She is a big fan of Chinese basketball player Yao Ming. “I think Yao is the best athlete in China. I met him at my father’s office when I was very young. He was almost twice my height! I play rugby and softball, and enjoy watching baseball, swimming and basketball.”

Read more...

source: goodnewspilipinas.com






0 comments: